A rain gauge is an instrument used by meteorologists and hydrologists to measure the amount of liquid precipitation over a set period of time. There are many types of rain gauges, but the best rain gauge for your needs will depend on the specific application.
Best rain gauge : A complete buying guide
Rain gauges come in all shapes and sizes, but they all have one thing in common- they measure the amount of rain that falls on them. If you’re looking to buy a rain gauge, it’s important to understand which features are important to you. Here are five factors to consider when buying a rain gauge: 1. Accuracy The most important feature of any rain gauge is its accuracy. Make sure the one you buy is accurate enough for your needs.
Some gauges can be as accurate as 0.1 inches, while others can be as precise as 1 inch. 2. Display A good rain gauge should have a display that shows the current rainfall amount and the total rainfall for the day or week. This information can be helpful if you need to decide whether or not to bring in your garden plants indoors or leave them outside despite the rain. 3.
Size and Shape Another factor to consider is size and shape. Some gauges are small enough to fit on a countertop, while others are larger and require a more permanent installation. Don’t forget to take into account how easy it will be to read the display from a distance. 4.
What is rain gauge?
A rain gauge is a device that measures the amount of rain that falls.
Why should you buy a good rain gauge?
A good rain gauge will help you track rainfall levels and keep an eye on water usage.
Different types of rain gauge
Rain gauges come in all shapes and sizes, but their main purpose is to collect rainwater so that it can be analyzed. There are three primary types of rain gauges: barrel, spigot, and anemometer. Barrel rain gauges use a metal barrel that collects rainwater as it falls and sends a signal to the gauge’s indicator. Spigot rain gauges use a tube or nozzle that sprays water onto a measuring device, which then sends a signal to the gauge.
Features to consider when buying a rain gauge
When purchasing a rain gauge, there are a few features to keep in mind. The first is the type of gauge you need. There are two main types of gauges: digital and analog. Digital gauges use a numeric readout to indicate how much rain has fallen, while an analog gauge displays rainfall in inches or millimeters.
The next consideration is the accuracy of the gauge. Gauges that are accurate to within .5 inches (1 cm) will be more precise than gauges that are only accurate to within 1 inch (2.5 cm). Another important feature to consider is the size of the gauge. If you will be using the rain gauge outdoors, choose a gauge that is large enough to fit on your window sill or stand on a sturdy base.
How to choose the right rain gauge?
When you’re ready to buy a rain gauge, there are a few things to consider. We’ll go over each one below, and give you our recommendations. Size: The first thing to consider is the size of the rain gauge you need. Do you need something small enough to keep on your porch or balcony, or something bigger that will stay in one spot? Type: There are two main types of rain gauges: digital and analog.
Digital gauges use electronic sensors to measure rainfall, while analog gauges use physical measurements like cups or spouts. Functionality: Next, decide what type of functionality you need from your rain gauge. You may want a basic rain gauge that just measures rainfall, or a more advanced model that can also track temperature and humidity levels. Price: Finally, factor in price.
Do you need a rain gauge & Why?
There are a lot of people who might not need a rain gauge, but there are others who absolutely depend on it. A rain gauge is very important for those in the agriculture industry, as it can tell them how much water they need to irrigate their crops.
10 Best Rain Gauge in Australia (2022) [Top Picks]
This is a perfect scale for measuring your plants! The size is 84 mm length by 84 mm width by 245 mm height. It has an easily readable scale and an instrument.
- Measures 84 mm length by 84 mm width by 245 mm height
- Staff and rod is not included
- Equipped with an easily readable scale and an instrument
- Made of plastic
- Comes with holder
The Ecowitt WS2910 Weather Station is a high-quality, solar-powered weather station that includes a color LCD display console and seven wireless outdoor sensors. This weather station is perfect for monitoring temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, wind speed/direction, light & UV levels, and rainfall. You can also use the WS2910 to monitor climate conditions such as heat index and dew point. With the help of the included Ecowitt / WS View Plus APP, you can upload your data to external weather services or access it directly on the console.
- Powered by 3 pcs AAA batteries (not included) or DC power adaptor.
- Color LCD Display ConsoleWS2910 color LCD console can displays Time, Date, WiFi/RF icon, Indoor/Outdoor Temperature and Humidity, Barometric Pressure, Rain Fall, Wind Speed/Direction, UV Index, Solar Radiation(Light), Moon Phase, Weather Forecast, MAX/MIN Daily, Wind Chill, Heat Index, Dew Point
- High/Mid/Off three backlight ways alternative
- Or you can view the live data on the Ecowitt / WS View Plus APP after Wi-Fi configuration.
- The integrated outdoor weather sensor collects accurate weather data and transmits them to the display console
- Multi-Functional Weather Station: Ecowitt WS2910 Weather Station includes wireless 7-in-1 solar powered outdoor sensor body and color LCD display console
- You can directly view the live data in display console
- Support Uploading to InternetWhen finished Wi-Fi configuration, WS2910 console is capable of sending your sensor data to select internet-based weather services, such as Ecowitt Weather, Weather Underground, Weather Cloud, Weather Observation Website (WOW) or Customized Website(Supports uploading to your customized website, if the website has the same protocol with Wunderground or Ecowitt).
- Weather AlertsAllows you to set high/low alarms for indoor/outdoor temperature and humidity, barometric pressure, wind, gust, rain rate/rain day, dew point and heat index; with batteries as back up power to record your data all the time.
- Wireless transmission distance is up to 100m/33ft
- 7-in-1 Wireless Outdoor SensorWS2910 weather station equips with Thermo-hygrometer / Rain Gauge / Wind Speed Sensor/ Wind Direction Sensor / Light and UV sensor / Solar panel
- Easy to mount
- Comparing with WN1900/1910 weather station, WS2910 not only can be powered by 2 pcs AA batteries(NOT included), but also can be powered by solar energy
- Sensor reporting interval is 16 seconds.
- Connecting the Weather Station Console to Wi-FiIn order to send weather data to these services, you need to connect WS2910 console to the internet via Wi-Fi
- The WS2910 user manual will guide you how to finish Wi-Fi configuration in detail.
The wireless funnel-shaped rain collector is self-emptying and easy to install; wall-mountable display base station with built-in table stand and back light. The rain gauge measures rain precipitation with 0.1mm/0.01inch resolution, indoor temperature and humidity with precision and accuracy. Allowing you to monitor the rain condition in your backyard/garden/farm/land crop with 300FT/100M wireless transmission range. The professional rainfall data includes rain rate, rain event, rainfall total of 1h/24h, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly record; 24 monthly rain history and the 730 days have rain rainfall records; Rain grade graph display. The programmable rain alarm warns you when flood conditions may be present or when to turn off the sprinklers.
- Self-emptying Rain Collector: The wireless funnel-shaped rain collector is self-emptying and easy to install; wall-mountable display base station with built-in table stand and back light.
- Wireless Rain Gauge: measures rain precipitation with 0.1mm/0.01inch resolution, indoor temperature and humidity with precision and accuracy
- Allowing you to monitor the rain condition in your backyard/garden/farm/land crop with 300FT/100M wireless transmission range.
- Monitor Room Comfort: Measures indoor temperature and humidity with history high and low records plus timestamp; calendar(time, week, date) and alarm clock function.
- Professional Rainfall Data: displays rain rate, rain event, rainfall total of 1h/24h, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly record; 24 monthly rain history and the 730 days have rain rainfall records ; Rain grade graph display; mm/inch measuring unit selectable
- Programmable Rain Alarm: customizable alerts for rain rate, rain event, indoor temperature and humidity to warn when flood conditions may be present or when to turn off the sprinklers.
The Netatmo Rain Gauge is perfect for keeping track of the amount of rainfall and deciding how much watering your plants need. The Rain Gauge notifies you on your smartphone the moment it starts raining, so you’re always prepared.
- Measure the rainfall and decide how much watering your plants need
- Receive an alert on your smartphone the moment it starts raining
- A Rain Gauge on your Smartphone
- The Netatmo Rain Gauge only works with the Netatmo Weather Station, sold separately
The Digital Rain Gauge Sensor from Ecowitt is a wireless rain collector sensor that measures rainfall rate, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly data with 0.1mm/0.01inch resolution. The sensor can be paired with the Ecowitt Wi-Fi Gateway/Display Console (sold separately) to view live data on the WSView Plus or Ecowitt App, and can also be uploaded to the free Ecowitt Weather server (ecowitt.net) to view the sensor data graph and download the history records.
- [ Please Note : Accessory Only, Can NOT Be Used Alone
- Digital Rain Gauge Sensor: Ecowitt WH40 rain collector sensor measures rainfall rate, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly data with 0.1mm/0.01inch resolution; allowing you to monitor the rain condition in your backyard/garden/farm/land crop with 328ft/100m wireless transmission range
- The rainfall history graph of your WU station ID can beviewed on the WU Dashboard on the WSView Plus App.
- WU Dashboard on APP: supports uploads to WU/WeatherCloud/WOW
- [ Please Note : This sensor is 433 MHz
- Pair with Ecowitt Wi-Fi Gateway/Display Console: Except for pairing with GW1100 Wi-Fi gateway, Wh40 rain gauge sensor can pair with WH5360/HP3501 display consoles (sold separately)
- The outdoor sensor and display console should be at the same frequency
- Live Data on APP: requires to pair with the GW1100 Wi-Fi gateway(sold separately) – after finishing Wi-Fi configuration, the live rainfall data can be viewed directly on the WSView Plus or Ecowitt App; supports uploading to our free Ecowitt Weather server(ecowitt.net) to view the sensor data graph and download the history records on the website; it’s recommended to add a shortcut of the website on the home screen of your phone for quick access.
- Self-emptying Rain Collector: The wireless funnel-shaped rain collector is self-emptying and easy to install; Rain sensor calibration andcustomized initial rain value functions available on the WSView Plus App [ Please Note: the installation pole is not included
The AcuRite rain gauge measures up to 5 inches of rainwater. Durable, weather-resistant acrylic construction on this plastic rain gauge. Numbers are magnified by over 35% for simple, at-a-glance rainfall measurement viewing. Easy-to-read white numbers and inch markings. Integrated hang hole for easy mounting or can be staked into the ground.
- AcuRite rain gauge measures up to 5 inches of rainwater
- Durable, weather-resistant acrylic construction on this plastic rain gauge
- Numbers are magnified by over 35% for simple, at-a-glance rainfall measurement viewing
- Easy-to-read white numbers and inch markings
- Integrated hang hole for easy mounting or can be staked into the ground
The Rain Gauge is a great addition to any backyard. With its easy-to-read LCD screen, the Rain Gauge can tell you how much rain has fallen in your area over the past day, past week, by month and year. The Rain Gauge also has an alarm to notify you when your rainfall total has been reached. The self-emptying design makes daily maintenance easy, and the outdoor rain collector measures rainfall up to 328 feet (100 meters) away!.
- Rain Gauge Function: View rainfall totals for the current day, yesterday, past week, by month and year
- Alarm Notifies: Customizable alarm notifies you with an audible beep once your set rainfall total has been reached
- Self-emptying Design: Self-emptying means no trouble for daily maintenance, easy to handle
- (Wireless range up to 328 feet (100 meters)
- Measures Rainfall: Outdoor rain collector measures rainfall in your backyard and wirelessly transmits readings to its indoor display
- The backlight will last 8 seconds
- Backlight Function: Press “Snooze/Light”button to turn on the backlight
Introducing the new and unique frog rain catcher! This hand-made garden decor is a relaxing addition to any home. Children will love learning about rainfall while enjoying a morning coffee. The quality of this product is exceptional, making it perfect for those who love frogs and rainwater collection systems. It makes a great gift for family friends who enjoy frog figurines, garden statues, and cute pond accessories.
- NEW TO MARKET! FRESH and UNIQUE! A fun rain water catching system! Children learn about rainfall
- HANDMADE rain catcher that stands out among the frog stuff garden decorations available
- So unique!
- RELAXING VIBE from this stylish garden decor
- Enjoy a morning coffee and check last night’s rainfall
- EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY for those who love frogs and rainwater collection systems! Outdoor set addition!
- UNIQUE GIFT for family friends who like frog figurines, garden statues, and cute pond accessories
This is a high quality, easy to use and stylish rain gauge. The glass tube is made of high-quality glass, which is transparent and textured, and the scale on the glass is clear and bright. The frame of the rain gauge is composed of fashionable pure metal, which is durable and will not fade or deform. The installation is simple and will not be dirty.
- If you receive damaged products or have any other complaints, please feel free to contact us, and we will provide you with a satisfactory solution within 24 hours.
- High quality after-salesOur products undergo strict quality inspection and multi-layer packaging to ensure that the products received by customers are perfect
- In addition, our rain gauge adds colored metal strips (patented design) at the rear of the glass tube to make the rainfall clearer and easier to read, effectively avoiding the problem of unclear scale caused by reflection or transparency.
- Clear and easy to readThe glass tube of the rain gauge is made of high-quality glass, which is transparent and textured, and the scale on the glass is clear and bright
- It can also be used as a decoration for courtyard, lawn and garden.
- Fashionable designThe rain gauge is composed of fashionable pure metal frame and high-quality glass tube, which is simple to use and durable
- It can help you know how much water your plants are watering or monitor the weather patterns in your area
- The operation is simple and will not be dirty.
- The glass tube inside is easy to take out, which is convenient to check the collected rainwater and empty the glass tube, so as to prepare for the next rainfall
- Easy installation and useThis rain gauge can be fixed on the ground or hung on the fence, which is very convenient
- The glass tube of the rain gauge is made of high-quality glass, which will not be corroded or yellowing due to long-term exposure outdoors.
- Durable]The frame of the rain gauge is made of pure metal, which is durable and will not fade or deform
The ClickUp! Rain Gauge is a must-have for anyone who wants to know the precise amount of rainfall that has fallen. With its practical one-click mechanism, it is easy to attach and detach from the ClickUp! Handle (sold separately). The One-Click fastener makes the connection extremely stable and wobble-free.
The scale is made of high-quality PMMA material that is robust and durable. The transparent material is both frost-proof and dishwasher-safe, making it easy to read even in poor lighting conditions. Comes with a 5-year warranty.
- The One-Click fastener makes the connection extremely stable and wobble-free.
- With its practical one-click mechanism, the ClickUp! Rain Gauge can be easily attached to and detached from the ClickUp! Handle (sold separately)
- The ClickUp! Rain Gauge is made of extremelly high-quality PMMA material that is robust and durable.
- With the ClickUp! Rain Gauge, you have a precise measurement of the amount of rainfall that has fallen
- The clear and easy-to-read scale records the precipitation from 0 to 120 l / m².
- The highly transparent material is both frost-proof and dishwasher-safe and the clear and legible scale is easy to read.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
Best rain gauge brands
Rain gauges are a great way to track precipitation levels in your area. They can help you predict when rain is likely to fall, and give you an idea of how much water you’ll need for your plants or gardens. Here are 10 of the best rain gauges in Australia in 2022: 1. The Weather Channel Rain Gauge (Australia) This gauge is from The Weather Channel, one of the most popular weather channels in the world. It’s accurate to within 1 millimeter, and has a range of 20 to 500 mm rainfall. It also includes temperature readings and wind speed data.
This gauge is perfect for monitoring precipitation levels in your area, as well as checking weather conditions elsewhere in the world. 2. Coopers Rain Gauge (Australia) Coopers is another well-known name in Australian agriculture, and this rain gauge is perfect for gardeners and farmers alike. It has a range of 10 to 1000 mm rainfall, plus temperature readings and wind speed data. This gauge is very accurate, so you can count on it to give you accurate information about precipitation levels in your area. 3.